James W. Douglass’ Challenge to Us
Pax Christi Florida’s retreat on March 29 and 30th with Jim Douglass entitled, “Gandhi and the Unspeakable” – Will We Ever Wake Up to Nonviolence?, was an extraordinary experience and I dare say that none of us will ever be the same.
To view Jim’s notes from the sessions, click here.
Photos and additional material to be posted in the near future.
by Roger Drouin (Truthout: Feb. 4, 2014)
1. MARCH 11. U.S. EPA HEARING on the Injection Well. Let’s turn up the heat on the EPA and keep our water clean and close the door on Everglades oil drilling and fracking. Caravans coming from Tallahassee, Tampa, Lakeland, Brooksville, Orlando, Miami, Ft. Worth and more. Also, a short rally with signs to begin at 3:45pm. Free homemade cookies. Free housing, available. An after party under the trees. A promise of music. And wish lanterns to set the sky on fire. Bring a friend.
- WHAT: Citizens Oppose Injection Well at U.S. EPA Public Hearing
- WHO: Stone Crab Alliance Sierra Club, Conservancy, Green Peace, Food and Water Watch, Environment Florida, Floridians for Clean Water, Indian Riverkeepers, Gulf Restoration Network, Re-Think Energy Florida and concerned citizens
- WHERE: Golden Gate Community Center Auditorium, 4701 Golden Gate Parkway, Naples, FL 34116
- WHEN: Tues., March 11, Information Meeting 4:00-6:00 p.m. and Public Hearing 6:30-8:30 p.m.
2. Sign Petition from Sierra Club
ACT TO END FLORIDA’S DEATH PENALTY!
Florida has become “the worst of the worst” of Death Penalty states. Florida is now second only to Texas for the number of executions in 2013. Last year Florida led the nation in new death sentences (22). Florida has the nation’s second largest Death Row with 405 men and women awaiting the executioner. In tragic irony, Florida leads the nation in exonerations of Death Row inmates (24). TAKE ACTION!!! . Tell Governor Scott to STOP SIGNING DEATH WARRANTS. Your calls and emails are counted. Gov. Rick Scott – Phone: 850-488-7146; Email: Rick.Scott@eog.myflorida.com
Robert Hendrix is scheduled to be executed on
April 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm
#16 Death Warrant for Gov. Scott since taking office!
Governor Scott has ordered, for the 16th time since taking office, the People of the State of Florida to execute Robert Hendrix on Wednesday, April 23 at 6:00pm ET. Robert is to be put to death for the 1990 killing of Elmer Scott, Jr. and Susan Scott. Please TAKE ACTION!!! Contact Governor Rick Scott and ask him to convene the Board of Executive Clemency and commute the death sentences of Robert Hendrix to Life in Prison without Parole. Tell Governor Scott to STOP SIGNING DEATH WARRANTS. Your calls and emails are counted. Gov. Rick Scott – Phone: 850-488-7146 Email: Rick.Scott@eog.myflorida.com.
WE MUST NOT BE SILENT!
Pax Christi Florida joins Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty and other allies in calling for simultaneous execution vigils/protests across the state at the time of executions. Each vigil group in Florida is independent and establishes its activities according to the needs, strategies and resources of its members. ALL are welcome to participate at ANY protest and vigil. If you do not see your area listed or would like to organize a local action, please contact FADP at 727-215-9646 or email@example.com. List of some Florida actions beginning with bus and carpools: RESOURCE: For execution prayer service, statistics and other resources, click here and once the PCF’s Resource page comes up, scroll down to Death Penalty Resources.
SUPPORT LEGISLATION TO END FLORIDA’S DEATH PENALTY
Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda has filed HB 4011 Death Penalty in the Florida Legislature to end the use of the Death Penalty. This bill MUST have a Florida Senate sponsor to move forward. Please contact your Florida State Senator and ask them to sponsor a companion bill in the Senate.
- Please contact your Florida Representative and ask them to co-sponsor HB 4011
- Contact Rep. Rehwinkel Vasilinda and thank her for sponsoring HB 4011. (Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda; Phone: (850) 717-5009; Email: Michelle.Rehwinkel@myfloridahouse.gov
Death Penalty Articles/Reports
Prayer – Study – Action E-Newsletters
Latest Pax Christi Newsletters Regional, National, and International
NOTE! Some e-newsletters may take several seconds to download due to extent of content.
For additional Pax Christi and news items of interest, click here.
Pax Christi International Calls for Solidarity with the People of Syria
Read Pax Christi International’s latest statement on Syria here. Support our 2014 Lenten Campaign “Encountering Peace” to express solidarity with the people of Syria and to promote a negotiated solution to the extreme crisis gripping the country. Read more
she moves me
blogging for mother earth
PCF Council Member, Jim Rucquoi
i want to sit on this rock with you awhile, friend, think out loud a bit. first up, these new readings i’ve bumped into that continue to shake me awake. ever since starting out on my bike three years ago for mother earth, mother’s been whispering in my ear something fierce. after climate ride california last year i can think of little else. scattered news of old that held me in its addictive clutches fails to move me anymore. you move me, mother, front & center at last.
Please click here to read Jim’s blog.
Photos from Pax Christi Events
In right column, you will find photos of Pax Christi Florida’s 2011 Assembly, God, Country, and the Common Good led by Jean Sammon of NETWORK – Catholic Social Justice Lobby in Washington, DC. This event was held October 15 and 16 at the Life Enrichment Center in Fruitland Park, Florida. For additional Pax Christi Florida event photos, click here.